Wednesday, April 22, 2009

TRAINing for the First Kiss

So for an exercise in my Feature Writing tutorial the other day, we had to quickly write a personal column about our first kiss, or a bad date. I couldn't think of any horrible dates, but let me know what you think of my first kiss...

While I was writing it, I had a bit of a giggle thinking of how dorky I really was back then, the class had a laugh at my anecdote too!

Flickr: MsBlueSky

So here goes:

My first kiss was on my best friend’s driveway with a boy I’d known for seven months. We met in true grade eight fashion; at a social school dance. We were an all girls school, they were the all boys school. A match made in educational heaven.

We danced, 30 centimetres apart, respectively; rigid, courteous and feeling bloody awkward. Who would’ve known that but a short seven months later we’d finally build our courage and go in for a kiss.

My friend had been planning a “party”, another first for me; cordial and chips were plentiful and although there were no adult substances like alcohol in our midst, having our own party at 13; we felt so grown-up.

I’d been planning the kiss with my friend throughout the week; we’d gossip through maths class, through science class, through all the classes about how it was going to go. I persuaded her that she had to watch us all night so that at the moment he swept me away to plant me a big one, she would play that Sixpence None the Richer song, “Kiss Me.” Incredibly lame. She agreed, but it never happened. Thank God. The only benefit that song would’ve had on the experience is to make this story all the more cheesier!

So the moment came. We walked down her pitch black driveway, away from the other 30 or so pre-pubescent kids, who were awkwardly chatting and sipping on coke.

I can’t recall what was said before, but we kissed, it happened, it was over. All in a matter of seconds. What had been accumulating for more than half a year passed in a brief smooch. It wasn’t that interesting, and even after the kiss, the awkwardness hadn’t subsided.

I clumsily looked at him, smiled, revealing the train-tracks lining my slowly straitening teeth and said, “What was it like to kiss someone with braces?”

He laughed and said, “It was good.”

That was my first kiss. Things have thankfully progressed since then.


I don’t have braces anymore.


Tell me tales of your first kiss, first date, bad date - any relationship funniness will do!

8 comments:

Char said...

my first "real" kiss was on the back of a minibike (little motorcycle) parked in the back of the church. I was 13 - it was very dry and close lipped...and sweet. His name was Shane. I kissed a few more boys until I met my (now ex) husband. The first time he tried to "french" me, I was convinced I was going to get pregnant and tried to push his tongue out of my mouth. But then....whew...then I learned what kissing was all about and I LIKED it.

Annabelle said...

Haha, very cute first kiss Char... wait, you DON'T fall pregnant from "french" kissing!... haha I think I thought the same thing when I was younger.

Anouk said...

Your French is very good !
I like this holidays too <3
See you.

red.door.read said...

aw sweet.

i love kissing. it's like cupcakes x 1000

sneaky kisses are my fav.

LENORENEVERMORE said...

I love kissing but I prefer hugging & cuddling...& yes even shopping!~haha*
Hope you have a lovely weekend!

heartshapedmorning said...

awww, that's such a cute story!
xx
chloe

katie t said...

i'm laughing too as i think about this...or the fact that i am realizing just how young that i was!!!!

my first "peck" kiss was when i was in grade four so i was 10 behind some shrubs in our school playground. it was to mike black.

my first "french" kiss was in my friends basement while with a group of friends. we were "going out" but it was a dare. i was in grade five so i was 11 and it was to jeff webb.

classic memories for sure!
thanks!!!

Prêt à Voyager said...

great assignment!

a

Post a Comment

Your comments always make my day. Thank you you fabulous blogging specimens!

Copyright Disclaimer:

This blog is a tracking of my ramblings - however sporadic and "un-meaning" my works may be they are still mine (unless otherwise expressed), not yours! No works may be copied from this blog. All works on this blog; writings, photos and recipes must be referenced back to me.