Thursday, May 28, 2009

Chez Panisse Gingersnaps

Well I've currently been on a quest to find a cracker ginger biscuit recipe and I think with this one from Baking Bites, I'm well on my way there.

Voilà the final product;

The method was different, making the batter and freezing it overnight, but it couldn't be done any other way.

N.B: I substitued "normal" molasses for pomegranite molasses (couldn't find a normal one in the shops, I know, but they had pomegranite - what the what?). They ended up giving them a bit of a tart taste, lovely still!


Also I recommend being a little more generous with the ginger if that's the kind of taste you like.

Chez Panisse Gingersnaps (from Baking Bites)
8 oz unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 small eggs or 1 1/2 large eggs
1/3 cup molasses
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper

Cream butter until soft; add sugar, and beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs, and beat until fluffy. Add molasses and beat until well-mixed.

Sift the dry ingredients; add to the mixture, 1/3 at a time. Mix only until the dry ingredients become incorporated.

Line a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with plastic wrap, so that some hangs over the outsides. Press the dough into the bottom of the pan. Pack it tightly, and try to make the top as level as possible (you could try making a rectangular log if you don’t have a loaf pan). Cover the dough with the plastic overhangs. Freeze until very firm, preferably overnight.

Unwrap and remove dough from the pan. Slice brick into thin slices, no more than 1/8″. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet (space at least an inch apart) and bake at 350 degrees (180 degrees celsius) until the edges turn dark brown, about 12 minutes.

Another N.B: make sure they turn dark brown on the edges, this helps them to be lovely and crispy when you take them out of the oven.

P.S. They're darn more-ish; I stress ate 4 large ones this afternoon! That's a lot when you look at their size.

10 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

I adore finding recipes! I print them and keep them in my recipe book! Thanks, Annabelle!

Amber said...

YUMMMMMMM! I love ginger bickies. Thank you!

Char said...

yummy!!! I love them with brie

Hello Lindello said...

mmmmm.... I love ginger snaps. I read in a magazine to dip them in guacamole and top them with pinenuts. sounds odd, but it wasnt bad!

the maisies said...

yum!

also, i love the name of your blog. i think my life would be a little empty (if not a little more disorganised) without the presence of lists!

Anonymous said...

this looks sooo good!! it inspired me to bake something too!! but we didn't have any ginger so i made sticky date pudding. will let you know how it goes. lizzie xoxo

Annabelle said...

VM, glad you like the recipes, shall start sharing some more! (And failed ones too!)
Char, brie on gingernuts!? I never thought of that - very good idea, shall try, also Hello Lindello; guacamole and pinenuts is a different one too!
Thanks for all of the lovely words :-)

Sara Christine said...

Ooo...I just ate at Chez Panisse for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was fantastic. I haven't found a good gingersnap recipe, I'll have to give this one a try! xo

Light and Writing said...

Yummy! These look so good! Maybe I will try, thanks so much for sharing!

sarah said...

gingersnaps are my fave!! thanks for the recipe.

Post a Comment

Your comments always make my day. Thank you you fabulous blogging specimens!

Copyright Disclaimer:

This blog is a tracking of my ramblings - however sporadic and "un-meaning" my works may be they are still mine (unless otherwise expressed), not yours! No works may be copied from this blog. All works on this blog; writings, photos and recipes must be referenced back to me.