Thursday, May 21, 2009

Paris, Stop F-ugging

Australia's creation, the UGG boot, has been soiled permanently by people like this...

And this has irked me for some time, because UGG boots were never ever meant to be worn as a fashion item.

However around 5 years ago celebrities, like the one above, propelled our humble tootsie warmers into the mainstream; onto the streets, into restaurants & general public life.

The boots now have earned a reputation for being "trashy", "unfashionable" and completely "demode" as Lagerfeld would say.

Here in Aus, however, UGG boots are still predominantly winter feet warmers; to be worn at home whilst you're in your trackies (sweatpants) watching Sex and the City re-runs on a winters' day (as I have done so today).

Time for Paris to de-ugg and give these slippers back the credibility they so dutifully earned.

So I want to know lovelies, what is your take on the UGG boot?

And you Aussies out there (Brown Button's Kim) and any other local lurkers, how do you feel about how this boot has been exploited?

12 comments:

Char said...

I guess I never knew they were houseslippers but it makes sense to me. I think they are wonderful as that and would wear them that way.

Hello Lindello said...

I have never been a fan of the UGG as shoes. They are like a "croc" to me!

You Are My Fave said...

As an American, I apologize. If they still work in Aussie, work it.

katie t said...

ok so the only pair of UGG boots that were in our home were my daughters...and i will admit that she wore them out daily as her warm school shoes. not here winter boots but her warm school boots? she is 6 though so i hope it's better then her being 30? but i can understand how annoying it would be for you :(

Sarah~Mechelle said...

As a fellow Australian, I agree with you totally.
The faithful UGG is just that, UGG-ly. It was never meant to be worn past the front door!
But behind closed doors it was loved.

Annabelle said...

Katie T, I think there's a sheild rule for anyone under the age of 11 :-) They are great for kids....

I don't feel negatively about the UGG boot, just how they've been killed by crappy celebrities... I suppose because they were always kinda meant to be a daggy, casual shoe - now they just have a bad rep. Not really a stressful issue, just something to take our minds of swine flu and the recession!

Annabelle said...

P.S. I have a pair that I can't take off my feet when I'm around the house in winter

Landunn said...

I just bought some and love them - mostly warn round the house but sorry they're so comfy I would wear them our too. Note - I made a point of buying Australian made Uggs - not the overpriced Amercian ones which are made in China.
- Landunn.

Annabelle said...

Landunn well done for buying the authentic ones, I'll forgive you for wearing them down to the shops :-)
That's a point I didn't address; the U.S. owned "UGG" brand really advertises itself overseas as the "best" and "only" ugg boot brand...they're not.

The VIPs said...

I have never owned a pair of Uggs but can see how Paris Hilton would exploit anything she puts on her body. I agree with you. Thank you for your nice comment on my blog the other day- I've posted the cookie recipe if you're still interested. : )

House of Milk said...

i could not agree more. uggs are for around the house and if one is feeling rather bold, MAYBE a brief walk around the block with the dog. thanks for coming by Milk, i'm absolutely smitten with your blog! :)

Skye said...

Completely agree. It upsets me a little that people like her have destroyed the reputation of our iconic slippies. :(

Post a Comment

Your comments always make my day. Thank you you fabulous blogging specimens!

Copyright Disclaimer:

This blog is a tracking of my ramblings - however sporadic and "un-meaning" my works may be they are still mine (unless otherwise expressed), not yours! No works may be copied from this blog. All works on this blog; writings, photos and recipes must be referenced back to me.