Sunday, May 31, 2009

Saturday Antiques and Sunday Cakes

Well it was lovely weather here over the weekend, so P. and I took advantage of it. Took my doggies for a few walks, walked around Paddington (a nice suburb in Brisbane) and popped into a few antique shops.

Then today, I made something that I thought you'd all enjoy...


Bill Granger's, "Apple Fruit Cake"


To make this cake, you will need:

75g raisins
3 tablespoons warm tea
3 apples (I left the skin on, cored it and grated it - lovely, moist product)
250g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teasppoon ground cloves
180g brown sugar
60g white sugar
250g softened butter
3 medium eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
85g chopped nuts
2 teaspoons grated ginger

P. Cutting Some Slices: P. and I couldn't get enough of it at lunchtime today (it was our lunch after 2 slices each!)

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Leave the raisins to soak in the tea while you make the rest of the cake.

Grease and flour a bundt pan (approx 25cm).

Sift the flour, baking powder, spices and salt together into a stand mixer bowl, and add the sugars, eggs, butter and vanilla. Beat the mixture, (either by hand or using a mixer) starting on low speed until the ingredients are just combined then increasing the speed, until the batter is pale, smooth and creamy.

Drain the raisins. Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir the apples, nuts, ginger and raisins into the mixture by hand. Place the batter into the prepared bundt tin and
smooth the top.

Place the cake in the preheated oven to bake for approximately one hour or until cooked through.

Remove the cake from the oven, and leave it to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before unmoulding it onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Finally, top with icing sugar (I mixed some cinnamon in with mine to add s
ome extra spice!)

NB: a trick learned from watching P's mum bake, if the top begins to brown too quickly whilst the cake's in the oven, place some alfoil loosely over the top.


I have a soft spot for Bill, because my lovely friend bought me a ticket to see him in his latest recipe book launch last month; it was so great!

I got him to make out my recipe book to both of us so I'd always remember how lovely that night was :-)

1 comments:

Char said...

wow - that would be like me meeting paula deen. i love apple cake and i will definitely have to try this.

Post a Comment

Your comments always make my day. Thank you you fabulous blogging specimens!

Copyright Disclaimer:

This blog is a tracking of my ramblings - however sporadic and "un-meaning" my works may be they are still mine (unless otherwise expressed), not yours! No works may be copied from this blog. All works on this blog; writings, photos and recipes must be referenced back to me.