Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Michael Pollan's Food Rules

While wandering through a great little independent book store in San Francisco last month, P. and I spotted a great little health-food pamphlet by food writer/journalist Michael Pollan.

Pollan's book "Food Rules", features a myriad of tips about how to eat healthily. A lot of them I already knew/practised - but it was an interesting and affirming read.

Image of author Michael Pollan from New York Magazine.

Here's a list of my 5 favourite food rules:

#21 It's not food if it's called by the same name in every language. (Think Big Mac, Cheetos, or Pringles.)

#36 Don't eat breakfast cereals that change the color of the milk.

#39 Eat all the junk food you want, as long as you cook it yourself.

#51 Spend as much time enjoying the meal as it took to prepare it.

#57 Don't get your fuel from the same place your car does.

Read more here...

Do you have any food rules to share?

I have one; when you're going to eat something "naughty" cut it in half, put it on a plate and eat it with a cup of tea. Slow down and enjoy it. If you want the rest, that's fine but the main thing is to be conscious/enjoy when you're eating it.

P.S. Has anyone seen "Food Inc."? It is certainly an eye-opening documentary - worth the time.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I love what Michael Pollan is doing for food awareness!

tvmom said...

I need to get this book...such good advice....my rule is organic apples and meat/chicken.

Annabelle said...

That's a great rule tvmom - I think that organic chicken and meat is so important!

Post a Comment

Your comments always make my day. Thank you you fabulous blogging specimens!

Copyright Disclaimer:

This blog is a tracking of my ramblings - however sporadic and "un-meaning" my works may be they are still mine (unless otherwise expressed), not yours! No works may be copied from this blog. All works on this blog; writings, photos and recipes must be referenced back to me.